Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Our Disney World Vacation

Day 7


Friday morning we got up early and headed to the Magic Kingdom (early entrance for resort guests). We entered the park and stayed to our left and went clockwise and tried to ride every ride. There were a few that we'd missed in previous visits and we wanted to experience everything because we were feeling to the departure time fast approaching. Just a day away.



Talk about the typical tourist. Amanda saw the ducks sleeping on the sidwalk as we left our room and had to get down on their level to take their picture. It was kinda humorous to see her waddling into position to get a closeup. I wish I'd taken a video of it.



We rode the Monorail from the Polynesian to the Magic Kingdom. You can see the Poly way in the background just to the left and behind the Grand Floridian with its red tile roof. Janet looked into rooms at the GF but it was twice the price but from what she saw on the website it was really, really, really nice and big. If you decide to go there yourself you might look into it. By the way....see the nice white sandy beach? You can walk along them, but you can't swim in the lake. There are signs all along the lake saying not to swim. Don't know why.


Remember the Jungle Cruise from when you were a kid. The last time we went to Disneyland the ride was closed, so we jumped aboard and enjoyed the ride.


Everyone was excited at the start of the day...except Eric who was still half asleep.


Next was the Pirates of the Carribean. I really was having fun.


Pirates is also Eric's favorite ride. He insisted that we ride it the first time we entered the park on Sunday and every other time we entered the park. I'm not complaining, it's my favorite too. It's been my favorite since I was a kid and went to Disneyland the first time as a kid.

So we got off the Pirates ride and were bumming around the tourist shop and Sarah and Amanda found this great big sombrero. What that had to do with the Carribean I don't know. But they had fun with it. Can you see all the pins that Sarah had collected by that time? We need to buy a shadow box and mount them for her so she can show them off and appreciate them more often than when she opens her underwear drawer.


There is some missing time between these pictures. After Pirates we got some lunch. After that we decided to go on Splash Mountain. Well, they had fixed the water squirter that gets you as you enter the mountain. We got soaked. I mean really soaked. I'm just glad I was wearing a nylon shirt and shorts.



We then decided that we wanted to ride the train around the park to dry off. After some searching we found an entrance and hopped aboard. At the Main Street stop you could see our resort way across the lake.


While we waited for the train to get moving Janet tried getting us all in one picture.


Think we were feeling a little giddy?


After the train ride we bumped into Amanda's best friend from back in Provo. Actually they'd been texting each other for days trying to get together. They were staying in a condo outside the park and did water parks and other things. They just happened to be in the Magic Kingdom this particular day. And we forgot to take a picture. No evidence. We talked with them for a couple of minutes and compared notes and said our goodbyes. They were headed to one of the water parks for the afternoon. They left for Provo the next morning bright and early.

After meeting Mandy's friend we headed over to the riverboat for a relaxing ride around Huck Finn's Island. I thought for sure that Sarah would want to check out the island, but no. So we rode the boat.


And took some pictures.


And texted the friend we'd just seen 30 minutes before.


Janet is too cool.


We didn't spend too much more time in the Magic Kingdom because we had a dinner reservation at EPCOT. But before we left I recieved a phone call from Linda. I tried to call her back but she had turned off her phone because she was going into a class or performance or something. So I left a message.



Our dinner reservation was at the Morrocan restaurant. It was called Marrakesh. It was really good food. I remember Janet some chicken with couscous. Eric had a lamb dish called mechoui. I had a shish kebab of beef with some hummus. I can't remember what Sarah or Amanda had. But we did have pastilla, or thin fry bread with cinnamon and sugar, for dessert.


Sarah got ahold of a camera while at the dinner table and took my picture. Eric was checking out the belly dancer who was teaching little girls how to dance.


After dinner we were waiting for the girls to get out of the restroom when my phone rang. It was Linda calling me back. I guess I'd forgotten to tell her that we were going to Florida that week. She was in Provo and was just letting me know she was in town because I'd complained that she never lets me know when she's in town. Well, she was letting me know. I told her I was in Morrocco. She hesitated and said she didn't believe me. So I told her where I was and we had a laugh.


There are no more pictures of this night. We spent the rest of the evening walking through the various countries' markets and displays. Germany, England, Canada, France, Morrocco, Japan, US, Norway, China. We wound up in front of China to take in the nightly fireworks display.


After the fireworks the park closed except for those with bracelets. We went over and rode the Mission to Mars ride and the ride that goes up into the ball that you associated with EPCOT. Don't know what that's called. By this time Janet and the girls were getting pooped out. They decided to hang back and wait while Eric and I got one last ride on the Soaring Over California. By the time we had finished that it was midnight and time to head back to the hotel.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Do you suppose you couldn't go in the lake b/c of alligators? Eeks! Sounds like another fun day!